Wednesday, December 07, 2011

New Format. Not sure...

This is a picture of my granny, born Gladys Anderson, daughter of Andrew, who built the house "Murchiston" in 1881. I haven't been there yet this trip. I've spoken with the people who live there now - well, they don't actually live there, but in a new house built in the grounds. When the Andersons sold the place to the Smiths in 1928, the Smiths left it exactly as it was. When I stayed there in 1991 it was still the same. I'm not looking forward to seeing what the earthquakes have done, though I think I'm overdoing the dread... I had a book of music, inscribed by HT for Gladys, and one time when I was in the house I put it down on the piano and left it there. It seems so petty to be hoping so much that, after all that's happened, it'll still be there. I was going to put a picture of Dean's cottage and the wonderful eucalyptus tree that stands beside it, but I think I'll just put in a couple of pages where my grandad was doodling with my dad.
I have to write a 'Literary Review' by 9 o'clock on Monday morning. It's now Wednesday night and I've given up struggling with the technology and have printed everything out. Now at least I know how to go about it. I think it will involve a solid return to old-fashioned methods. Chocolate biscuits will be involved. Maybe even coffee. But I won't start any sentences with conjunctions. Or produce any without verbs. The last piece of written work I had to do was in 1984. Wish me luck...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home