Monday, January 02, 2012

The Discovery Hut

I've been wanting to play my violin in the Discovery Hut for a very long time. I tried applying through Artists to Antarctica schemes in England and New Zealand and also through the Royal Geographical Society, the body largely behind the 1901-4 expedition. Nothing doing, I've landed myself with a huge amount of academic work, not to mention a student loan and 6 months away from home, for the half hour that I ended up spending in the Hut. Like the pearl of great price, though, for me it's worth every farthing of the cost... I feel as if I've had a conversation with my young grandfather, consoled him for the hardships he underwent and been consoled in turn for the rough times that have occasionally been my lot too. I don't know if a half-hour mp3 file would upload before bed-time, but in any case, I think I'll have to listen to it a few times to make sure it can go out on its own into the big wide world. For the moment, here is a photograph.


2 Comments:

Blogger susanna said...

Oops!

2:47 AM  
Blogger susanna said...

Sorry about the lack of photos...

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home